Federal skilled worker Program

In January 2015, the Federal Skilled Worker Program which was known as FSWP was replaced and integrated into Express Entry. There are three pathways to working in Canada through Express Entry, including the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Candidates eligible for permanent residency looking for employment can apply for permanent residency online through Express Entry. The FSWP category specifically is for those with no prior Canadian work experience or those who have not been invited by a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Minimum requirements for Skilled work experience

Having skilled work experience means working in one of these National Occupational classifications (NOC) job groups:

Managerial jobs (skill type 0)

Professional jobs (skill level A)

Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

You must demonstrate that when working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties outlined in the lead statement of the occupational description. Those duties include all the essentials and the majority of the main duties.

Your skilled work experience must be

You must be employed in the same job (have the same NOC) as the job you intend to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation).

within the last 10 years

The work must have been paid (or commission earned-volunteer or unpaid internship work does not count)

At least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours (30 hours per week)-you can accomplish this in a number of ways:

  • Full-time at one job: 30 hours a week for 12 months = 1,560 hours (1 year)
  • Equal amount in part-time work: for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement
  • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)