Applying for PRTD

You need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada if you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR card. You can only apply for a PRTD if you are outside Canada. Without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus, or boat back to Canada.


For a permanent resident travel document, you must:

  • Be a permanent resident,
  • Not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • Be outside Canada
  • return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

When you submit your application through a visa application centre (VAC), an agent will review it to make sure your application is complete and contains all the documents described in the checklist.

Your application will then be assessed by a visa officer to determine whether you have met your residency obligations and whether you are still a permanent resident of Canada. An interview will then be scheduled if necessary. A VAC representative will inform you when and where your interview will take place.