Renewal of PR Cards

All permanent residents of Canada should carry a valid PR card with them when traveling outside Canada. The PR card allows permanent residents not only to prove their status but also to travel freely within and outside of the country. A permanent resident can apply for a new PR card if their current PR card is about to expire within nine months or if it has already expired.

A permanent resident card can be renewed by submitting a hard copy application to one of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) Case Processing Centres for PR cards. A new PR card will be issued upon submission, provided that the application is complete and the permanent resident meets all requirements.

If a permanent resident fails to meet the residency requirement, their PR status remains in effect until an official decision is made about their status.

When a person’s PR card expires, their permanent resident status does not end. Losing PR status requires an official process. Here are a few ways you could lose PR status:

  1. Upon the conclusion of an inquiry (including PR card renewal) or appeal of the permanent resident travel document (PRTD), an officer determines that you are no longer a permanent resident
  2. You renounce your permanent resident status voluntarily
  3. A removal order is issued against you
  4. You become a citizen of Canada.

Understand the permanent resident status

When boarding a flight to Canada, or traveling to Canada on any other commercial carrier, permanent residents (PRs) must provide their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD). If you do not have your PR card or PRTD, you will not be able to board your flight, train, bus, or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid after you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new card when your current one expires. You do not lose your permanent resident status when your PR card expires.

How to maintain Permanent resident status

During the last five years, you must have spent at least 730 days in Canada to maintain your permanent resident status. You do not have to spend these days consecutively. A portion of your time abroad may count toward this requirement.