Super visa

With a super visa, you can visit your children or grandchildren for up to two years at a time. This is a multi-entry visa that allows for multiple entries up to ten years in length.


To be eligible for a super visa

You must be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

You must receive a letter signed by your child or grandchild inviting you to Canada, which contains the following:

  • The promise of financial support during your stay in Canada
  • The names and ages of everyone living in the household of this person
  • Along with a copy of the person's Canadian citizenship or permanent resident card

They must have medical insurance from a Canadian provider who:

  • Is valid for at least one year from the date of entry
  • And provides coverage of at least $100,000
  • Proof of medical insurance payment (quotes will not be accepted)

You must also:

Obtain a super visa from outside of Canada

Be allowed to enter Canada

Take an immigration medical exam

Meet certain other conditions

Dependants cannot be included in this application.

Financial support (proof of funds)

In order for your child or grandchild to invite you, they must show you proof that their household meets the minimum income requirement. Some examples of proof of funds are as follows:

Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year

Employment Insurance stubs

Employment letter including salary and date of hiring

Pay stubs

Bank statements

Other conditions we consider

There are several factors to consider before you are allowed to come to Canada. It is necessary that you are a genuine visitor to Canada who plans to leave by choice at the end of your stay.
We’ll look at these things when you apply:

Your ties to your country of origin

The purpose of your visit

Your family and finances

The overall economic and political stability of your home country