study permit

Who requires a study permit?

In Canada, foreign nationals who wish to enroll in academic, professional, vocational, or other education or training courses lasting more than six months must obtain a study permit. According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), the following activities are not considered studies and do not require an IRPAS study permit: 

  1. Pre-school (pre-kindergarten)
  2. Self-improvement or general interest courses
  3. Distance learning
  4. Audited courses (sitting in on an academic course without receiving credit or being able to obtain credit retroactively)

Eligibility Requirements

In order to study in Canada, you must –

Enroll at a designated learning institution (DLI).

If you will be studying as an international student outside of Canada, your DLI must be on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan.

You must also be in good health and get a medical exam (if necessary).

As soon as your study permit expires, you must prove to the officer you will leave the country.

Provide proof that you have adequate funds for -

  1. Your tuition fees.
  2. Along with living expenses for yourself and your family members that come to Canada with you.
  3. Return transportation for yourself and any family members that come with you to Canada.

You must obey the law, have no criminal record, and get a police certificate (if necessary).